Keeping accurate time for a job whilst working in Vectorworks
- In Vectorworks Preferences / Session there is an option that can be activated 'Log time in program'. It records time spent in program and the opening / closing of documents to a log file. However that file logs everything, hence it is quite difficult to extract the required information.
- HINT: A much better solution, in my view, is to use your smart phone and use a designated app, e.g. 'Office Time' for an iPhone. In this case it also offers a desktop version that syncs with the phone. The added bonus of having it installed on your phone is that as you have it with you on site, when with clients (face-to-face or phone), etc. you can keep a record of your time for a certain project wherever you are.
A new feature in version 2015: On-Screen Indicators for Site Model Errors
- Version 2015 now offers On-Screen Indicators for Site Model Errors. This makes it so much easier to correct them and is a great time saver
Creating the banks of a pond that have a constant slope
- With existing site modifiers or roads, the Create Grade Limits from Pad... command calculates your grade limits based on slopes that you are requiring.
- Creating a Site Modifier / Pad
- Setting the parameters for the grade limits
- Updating the site model
- The result shows grade limits based on the desired constant slope
- Demonstrating the reverse process (obtaining a pad from existing grade limits) by using the Create Pads from Grade Limits... command
- Creating a Site Modifier / Grade Limits
- Setting the parameters for the pad
- Updating the site model
- The result is a pad based on the desired offset and slope
- HINT: This process tries to calculate an equal amount of Cut and Fill when creating the pad. A handy tool!
- Demonstrating the fact that since version 2014 Vectorworks does Cut & Fill calculations either for a single site modifier or for any number of site modifiers selected
- Creating a worksheet based on these calculations
- HINT: Worksheets are very powerful and useful. If you are new to worksheets, go to my website and check out the manual 'Introduction to Worksheets'
- Creating three individual grade limits from three pads and then combining them. It is possible to have one grade limit that services many pads or several grade limits servicing many pads.
- HINT: The exceptions to the above statement are road objects, as they automatically create their own pad and grade limits
A new feature in version 2015: Roadway (Custom Kerb)
- Check out Landmark SIG 58 for a detailed run down of this powerful new tool and its many possible applications
How to create underwater steps for the pond
- Using pads at different heights is the easiest way to achieve it. Remember that pads cannot overlap!