Pages

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Book Shelf for Vectorworks

I have been really fortunate to have a review copy of book shelf from VectorDepot. This is now in my Vectorworks and I use it all the time.

Bookshelf is a plugin for Vectorworks. You have to add it to your plug-ins folder, and then add it to your workspace. This takes about 30 seconds to complete, and is very straightforward.

When I first got book shelf, I was impressed, but it hadn't dawned on me just how useful it can be. You see Bookshelf stores files and web site locations for you. Not just Vectorworks files either. I found that I can store PDF files, Vectorworks files, photoshops files and more. when you open these files with Bookshelf, your computer will open the file with the correct application. So, my PDF flies open with Acrobat Reader, the image files open with photoshop and so on.

For example, if you are designing a brick house, you could set up a library that had your typical brick details file, links to web sites that had brick cladding details, links to web sites that had brick textures, and you could include the pdf files for the structural codes for a brick building.

When you work on a brick project, you would have quick access to all the codes, textures, websites, details and so on that you need. this is a real time saver for me. I have so much stuff on my computer, I can never remember where I've put everything.

Bookshelf has been a real time saver, and I'm not going to use Vectorworks with out it. I highly recommend bookshelf, go buy it.

No comments: