Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell: book review

I have really enjoyed reading this book. This book questions the principle of success being down to individual effort. Gladwell uses Canadian ice hockey as an example of success, and how success is partly controlled by other circumstances other than your own natural talent. In the example Gladwell uses, success seems easier depending the month you were born in.

It is common to think of success as being the result of one person's effort. But is that really the case? I know in my situation, I would not be writing manuals and teaching CAD had it not been for the help of several people, and many fortunate situations.

This is a good read, a thoughtful book that will help you understand more about success. I'm going to give this book to my kids to read.

No comments: